Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Day 1 continued....

Well I am now sitting an airport in Port of Spain, Trinidad during my overnight layover. I’ve managed to commandeer a bench to lay down and rest a little. Currently it is 2 in the morning , it’s about 71 degrees outside, the doors are open and there is a slight breeze coming through. Ha.
Anyways back to where I left off… After my computer died, I managed to watch an episode of The Office on the plane and talk with my new seat buddy David Alexander. We were really lucky because it was a packed flight and we had an open seat between. Leg room. I found that D.A. (I didn’t call him that but if we were friends for longer I probably would) was on his way home to Trinidad from Washington D.C. He was visiting family there for the holidays. He was definitely happy to get back home… out of the snow. Nice fella. He let me borrow a pen, I let him borrow some gum (I let him keep it) and now we are BFF’s.
Anyways I got through customs. That was kind of tricky because they thought it was weird that I didn’t have an address so they gave me the 3rd degree. Asking questions like…“Why are you here?” “Buccooneer’s who?” “Panorama wha!?” But no need to worry, I charmed my way out of that one. Got my luggage from baggage claim and then I came to the next hurdle. I hit the currency exchange. The exchanging part was easy, it was figuring out how much it costs to use the pay phone. Luckily after trying a failing I asked the kind woman at the exchange counter and I finally called Seion. 8 days later, Seion came. I think he was driving from DeKalb. But seriously, he lives far from the airport so I am thankful he came to greet me and even buy me Trini KFC. It is very similar to American KFC but their ketchup was different and their hot sauce was Green and Delicious.
After finding my spot and writing in this log, more people started coming in. I met some American college students going back to school in Guyana, a Trini (who I let borrow my laptop to check his college class schedule) who goes to NC state for Chemical engineering. I also met a lady named Reg who was born in Guyana who has lived in Maryland for most of her life who is paranoid about flying and getting attacked and NOT afraid of talking about it… for an hour. Sweet lady, made blogging tough though. She did go through just about every bad scenario of travelling including luggage being lost, multiple pass stories about her sister, husband and daughter (who is studying medicine in Aruba). A really didn’t mind at all because it helped me pass the time and gave me time to drink my Apple J (carbonated apple juice). Anyway I am now finally in the terminal for my flight to Tobago. I am on approximately two hours of sleep in the last 40 hours and I feel great. I could use a shower and a shave…but I still look good, as usual. Time to pack it up and get on the flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment