Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Rehearsal number 2...



I woke up from my nap to my alarm and Omari’s head peekin’ in my room. So we hung out for a little while, he showed me a racing game on the computer and he likes to play with piano application on my Iphone. Then it was time to go. I went to the panyard early to practice and get ready for rehearsal. I had a really good and long conversation with a man they call “The Scientist.” He’s been playing pan for a long time and has played many different pans. They call him the Scientist because he learns them all very well and quickly.
We talked about all different types of things like the former arranger before Seion and how the band started. Past competitions. Last year this band got 2nd overall and a band from Tobago has never came in first. This band has won the people’s choice award a few times as well. That just got me more excited.
Retention was ok. Yesterday’s rehearsal was mostly getting used to the pan and listening to the tune. I feel a lot less overwhelmed at this rehearsal. I went through the intro of the tune and picked up more bits and pieces here and there. I can play the bridge and the last good chunk. Still lots more to learn. Luckily, people in the band have noticed my progress and are pleased. After rehearsal I hung around while Kirth had a meeting with the other band leaders. I met a bunch of new people and they got to know me. They also taught me a lot of slang phrase most of which I probably shouldn’t put in a public blog. Haha. However, I think I am beginning to gain their trust. The one thing I DEFINITLY under estimated was me understanding what they were saying. I wasn’t nervous because they are speaking English right? WRONG!! I was really getting used to how Cliff, Kenneth, Liam, Mia and all the Trini’s (or Arubans? ha or Canadians (Talib)) at NIU talk but when you get down here, its totally different. But everyone seems to be ok with repeating things. Haha. I do have to admit, sometimes I will be listening to a whole long sentence, and not understand a word, and I just nod and say yes. Haha a few times that has gotten the crowd laughing ha and then I usually ask them to explain what I said yes to.
Anyways, today I feel a lot more comfortable both socially and musically. Tomorrow Seion is coming to rehearsal to start teaching the rest of the tune. I’m pretty sure I will be staying at his house, which is a guest house rented by the band for him and the players. Well im off to bed, again I am exhausted. Tomorrow I’ll do some more exploration.

BTW The picture at the top is the front view of Kirth and Omari's house I took during the middle of the day. The one at the bottom is a picture of the panyard after rehearsal tonight. My pans are next to the chrome ones all the way to the left.

No comments:

Post a Comment