Thursday, January 14, 2010

Jan 14th continued...

Went to rehearsal early, and felt even more comfortable with everyone. I started working out some parts on the pan. I was in high concentration mode. Then after a while I finally look up and Seion is in his truck right next to my pan rack watchin me. At first I couldn’t tell if it was him. I went over said hey and we caught up quick. Then I went back to the pan to practice. A three cello player was next to me and he ended up helpin me on some parts. This felt pretty good because our pans are totally different (his having 3 pans and mine 4, arranged very differently) and I was able to pick it up real fast by ear. Im finally getting to know this pan. Anyways rehearsal started. Of course Seion said “good morning” which he always has even though its night time. I picked up a few more chunks here and there through out the rehearsal. I definitely still have more work to do.
Kirth left rehearsal early because of his foot and after hanging out for a long while after rehearsal Seion gave me a ride back. I feel much closer to the band members now. They still get a big kick out of teachin me funny (or inappropriate) trini slang, and I think they can tell im workin hard. Its weird sometimes I think I understand more of the conversation when I play basketball with my Hispanic friends at the park but here I will listen to whole conversations and not know what they are talking about. Still fun though. I forgot to mention that when I met with Seion and Akua at the airport in Trinidad, they told me that Tobagians have a slightly different accent than Trinis and they can even find themselves not understanding them. Great... It was nice to hear Seion, I could understand him... most of the time.
Anyways, Seion gave me and another guy named “Zook” home and we hung out with Kirth at his place for a bit and had a beer. They left and Kirth and I went to bed. Exhausted and I still slept in. I’ll try and get up earlier tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. You won't wake up! After a while I think I remember always sleeping in till like 2 or 3! Some weird time later than I usually sleep. It's like your body knows it only has to be awake for rehearsal at night.

    ReplyDelete